After losing my shit over twitter yesterday at one, yes one of the many whisky companies using social media to market their wares I received many comments as well as many retweets at how frustrating it is to watch the marketers totally overlook the real women of whisky! By the way, that is a real ad, google whisky woman and that's what appears!? Sigh...
So what is a real whisky woman: She is educated. A recent pole I did showed that on average she is a university graduate who is about 35-55 years old AND the kicker: She spends (that's disposable income, Mr. & Mrs. Marketing person) about $200 month on whisky. Yes, almost $2500/year on whisky. So... why? Why is this demographic not tapped into? Why are marketing people not "getting" that?
|Hi, like I'm Jessie!?|
|GENTLEMEN, DRINK EM IF YOU GOT EM|
It appears to me that the marketing scheme for most of the these brands is men = aged, smart, dashing and sophisticated. Women = Sexualized to lure men or "booth bunnies".
But hell what do I know, I'm not in marketing?
This came to mind last night as I made supper and sipped at a whisky. It's a bit of a take on the I am canadian rant...
- Hey, I'm not a vodka, rum or wine drinker... And I don’t drink vanilla, honey or cherry
flavored liquors, BUT I’m certain all those girls are really
- I use a Glencairn, rocks or Copita glass... And yes sometimes I do like it with water or even ice, BUT if I ask for it neat I expect you’ll know what that means.
- I will articulate what I detect when I am nosing & tasting... AND I can tell the difference between an Islay and a bourbon BUT I believe there is no such thing as a feminine whisky.
- I go to shows and events for the sheer pleasure
of enjoying the whisky... And I really don’t need your help picking
something out at the bar BUT I might I ask for your recommendation.
- I am your mom, daughter, sister or friend... AND I am young, old, wise, classy and very intelligent BUT I assure you I know whisky because:
I am a real whisky woman
Ok, I got that out of my system... So, my next idea: Let's make a video about that little rant, shall we? Can you say "viral" :)
The real Canadian Whisky Lassie,
|Courtesy of : It's just the booze dancing - Angelo|