Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Lassie's Top 12 countdown for 2016 - Whisky #11 Single Grain Single Cask Goodness

I know it was late 2013 when my friend Dave Alcock (www.thewhiskydramalista.com) contacted me on twitter. I don't remember if it was a twitter tasting he participated in or if his keen eyes had found this bottle somewhere but either way it was something he remembered I had been looking for. "Do you want me to get you a bottle and we will figure out how to get it to you?" Without any doubt or further thought the answer was a resounding YES!

So, he did. Bought it and held on to it for me until I was able to see him in spring of 2014. I was fortunate enough to spend a few days with him on a grand tour of the UK. Was one of the highlights of my trip actually. He and his wife were not only great hosts but I felt like I had known them for years or like they were family. Dave and I shared many amazing drams in his whisky shed, we all went on a #whiskyfabric road trip to Penderyn (which was a story in itself). He let me be a tourist in his hometown and ensured that I saw Stonehenge (Huge bucket list moment for me!)


The bottle in question was the Clan Denny Single Cask Single Grain Invergordon vintage 1966. Cask HH 7254, Ex-bourbon bottled at 47.1% ABV which made it back to Canada and then sat until October 7th when we held a club meeting at a friend's cottage. We ate a traditional Indian meal including an egg curry (amazing), we shared many a whisky and then we finished the evening with a bonfire overlooking the St. John's river. I opened the 1966 that night and as we all sat in silence mulling over the whisky, it brought me back to Dave's house. A morning when I woke up to the most beautiful guitar playing and how I closed my eyes and simply stayed in the moment. 

I eventually snuck out to the living room and didn't say a word, just continued to listen to Dave. Of course I snapped one of my favourite photos at that point :) 

It's always amazing to me that a dram can transport you back in time to an exact moment. I will say this again, no other spirit has the capability to do that for me. I made a promise to myself that night at the bonfire on that chilly October night that "we" would finish that 1966 before the end of the year. I shared it often and gladly. Did I take notes: Nope... ;)

The bottle was laid to rest on Saturday November 26th at the New Brunswick Spirits Festival. Friends present: Saravana, Mark, Stephanie, Benoit, Larry and Graham. In hindsight I really should have gotten everyone to sign it so that I could remember who got to try it with me, I'll remember for my 55th, hehe!

Thank you to Dave over in Bristol UK for getting this lovely bottle for me and appreciating that when I turned 50, I should have something quite special to share. 

Here's to looking out for one another and sharing what we have! Likely the fastest bottle drunk in 2016... it was worth the wait.

Number 11 - Thanks!


Lassie


No comments:

Post a Comment