Monday, December 5, 2016

Day 5, Not golden rings... but this will keep me so much warmer!!

It is getting colder here in the Maritimes. It dipped down to -12 Celsius last night. Naturally I tend to seek out drams that warm me inside out this time of year. 

It was another lovely surprise this morning to reach into door #5 and find a whisky that I'm very familiar with but from an independent company I've never had the pleasure to try. The fun part of today's adventure... this is one of Graham's favourite distilleries: Tobermory! Once again I bounded up the stairs (At least I'm getting lots of exercise with this advent calendar!!) and brought it back to the bedroom where Graham was still in a state of semi-consciousness. I quietly opened the little sample bottle and inhaled deeply. Ohhh that's a belter indeed! I grazed Graham's arm. "Hey, it's time to get up" I said in my church voice. Nothing. So I placed the opened sample bottle inches from his nose and began to waft the aromas in his direction. This caused an eye to open, then a smile to cross his face. "Should I expect to be awakened like this every morning" he said as he propped himself up on his pillows. "What do you think this is?", I asked. He smelled it deeply this time. "Ohhh", he chuckled, "this is very familiar indeed". I reached for the bottle and he pulled it away giggling. "Not done yet" he said matter of factly.

After a few moments he handed me back the bottle. Super familiar. "Fire & Brimstone" he said quickly. I laughed and told him what it was. He immediately took a small sip. It was only 6:25am?! "That's the good stuff right there", he stated as he headed down the hall to start the coffee maker. So, I went along with the rest of my Monday morning ritual and didn't really think about the dram until lunch time. I looked up A.D. Rattray as they are not a company I am very familiar with. They have been around for over a century and even more interesting is they are right on the west coast of Scotland. This advent calendar is full of surprises at every turn. After work, I came home and continued with the routine of sitting in my big armchair to nose/taste the whisky.

A.D. Rattray Ledaig (Leh-CHIG), 9 year old 57.9% ABV

Nose: A cold hearth (ashy, smoky and almost a hint of creosote). A bit of time in the glass and it becomes more briny in nature like the smell of an oyster. Palate: This has a rubbery component to it. Honestly, it tastes like licking a brand new Band-Aid! It's almost a bit hydrocarbon'ish in nature. On the backdrop I get a bit of a pulled pork sandwich or maybe more like a smoked brisket?
Finish: Sweet peat wreak! 

For the peathead in me,this is a FAR OUT dram that represents the island regions of Scotland so well. It is likely the best independent bottling of Ledaig I have ever had. I made sure to save some of the sample for Graham as I have a sneaking suspicion that he will love this one after the dog walk tonight. THIS is exactly the kind of winter dram we need to warm us on these cold and dark nights.

Once again, Jonathan you've done extremely well. What a fabulous peated whisky choice! If you want to check out what Jonathan thought or see if this is available still (fingers crossed), check out his website and look for Day 5.

www.singlemalting.com


For now, this Lassie is going to bundle up in a warm blanket and enjoy just a little more of this dram.

What is day six going to bring us? I'm excited to find out.


Lassie






No comments:

Post a Comment